How did you find out about Chase's Blog?

Monday, February 26, 2007

For the first time, I'm going to make an appearence on here.

Cancer was peculiar for me- I spent the majority of time denying that I had it, or just not realizing it. You hear cancer and it just devastates you. Personally, I had grown tired of thinking about it from the onset and just put it away. There was no way that I had this terrible disease. Not me, couldn't happen. I go to Carolina, I had just started making new friends, things like this don't happen to healthy 18 year old males. Maybe at State or something, but not me.

And now I've beaten it. That hasn't hit me yet- no way I could get cancer and beat it within a few months. I'm still waiting for the whole "I've seriously got cancer" and "I just beat cancer" thing to sink in.

As for the past few months, they have been the absolute best and worst of times. I could not have ever realized how much I impacted people around me without something as dramatic as this happening, and my eyes were opened. I felt unbelievable knowing that around every blood check and MRI, everybody associated with my upbringing for the first 18 years of my life had my back 100%. And that right there makes the difference. Every card sent, gift, dinner, prayer, thought, time spent, and question about how I was sent bursts of hope through me. No one person actually beats cancer. A large group of people all rallying towards one goal beat it. So now, we can all take a deep breath: I'm done. Chase Jones, that kid who randomly got a brain tumor, is now that kid who randomly beat a brain tumor.

My thanks goes out to everybody, literally everybody, that had ever known me. That is the only way I would have ever managed this. Cliche- yes. Unmeaningful- never. I am indebtted to everybody in the best way possible.

Most importantly though, I have to thank my family. It was funny- I spent my entire senior year dying to get out of my house. I was ready to jump to the west coast, live on my own, forget the past, and never look at North Carolina ever again. After being in Houston for 6 weeks, I realized there was only place God created for me: home. To my mom: my only hope is for you to get cancer one day so I can possibly ever take care of you half as good as you have for me. Given, sometimes I have grown tired of seeing you at my side every day. But nothing will ever compare than the love that you've given me. You made me hot dogs when that was the only thing I'd eat, and you made me everything else when I could never stop eating. It takes a special person to do what you did, and if I ever become something, you made me it. Aunt Beth- I think your writing made more people interested about me than I ever did, and I thank you for everything that you have helped with. I don't know how you put up with me being cranky throughout this thing, yet there was still a blog to check all the time. And to the rest of my family- Dad, Jacob, Grandma, Memaw, every Uncle and Aunt, distant family, cousin, pet, and every one of my friends- I am where I am today because of your support. There is no way around it; without a family to lean against, I would have fallen a long time ago. And to God- well, needless to say we had a lot of long talks during a lot of sleepless nights. It gets awkward to pray to not wake up, to pray to just be done with everything at that time. I am alive, and could not be happier. Folks, if you ever doubt there is a God or that He loves, look at me. I'm a perfect example. After that, there is no argument.

On that note, this was probably the longest post of all time. Again, thank you to everybody for the support. Ragsdale- I'm speechless. I did not think announcing the lunch menu would bring this many supporters. But I always knew if I was ever low, I could walk into my former high school and immediately be cheered up by anybody there. I hope I did not kill everybody's time reading this, but I could seriously go on thanking all day.

I beat it. Check that. WE beat it. And that is the best feeling I've ever experienced.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We celebrate with you Chase! We will continue to keep you in our prayers...they will now be prayers of praise and thanksgiving. Your future is bright. Someone once said "fear not the future for God is already there". So true. The Schelhammer's

Anonymous said...

Awww, Chase - you done good, for a Carolina boy especially. This State girl only had to go in and correct a couple tiny errors ;-).

I hope you enjoy the rest of your life cancer free, and I call dibs on the first White House overnight visit after your inauguration!

Aunt Beth

Anonymous said...

WOW! Such a wonderful tribute to all of your friends and family. We are so very grateful that you have come through this so well. Way to go!

And -- as far as that first White House overnight? Memaw and I get first dibs since seniority rules!

Grandma

Anonymous said...

Chase,
You can't imagine what it means to us for you to write this. Had to get my Kleenex out. You are such a man, and you'll have my vote forever. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!
Lisa (and Rick, Zack, and Baxter)

Anonymous said...

Chase,
It's been a long time since we've seen each other. A lot has happend, huh?! I've just spent the last hour reading about the last five months of your life and the unbeleivable journey you've been on. Mom keeps me updated often on how you're doing, but I really wanted to see it for myself. I have to say, you look pretty darn good with no hair! I'm so happy that all of this stuff is finally over for you. You have the heart and determination of a champion....you always have. You have been in my thoughts and prayers as I, too, remmeber my days spent in a hospital (fortunately for me it was the UNC Hospital...go Tar Heels!) I wish you nothing but the best. Take care.

Stephanie Weast

Anonymous said...

Chase (and Judith, Buddy & Jacob, too), We are so happy that this is all over for you! and how God has helped you and Judith and the entire family through it all. I can't imagine what it has really been like, but you are such a trooper and such a strong young man. That's what it takes to be the PRESIDENT you know!! I love you so much and I have prayed for you so much over these last few months. You will always be my special Chase and I am thankful that you and Ben have a friendship that will last your lifetimes. You know, the FAB FIVE from RHS Baseball!! Thank you so much to your Aunt Beth who kept us all up to date on the progress, when it was good and when it seemed not so good. But now, it's done and you are whole again! Praise the Lord who has worked a miracle in you physically, and in many ways for you and the rest of us through all of this. Now get busy at Carolina!! LOL

Much love,
Sherri, Mark, Ben & Tyler

Lindsay said...

I couldn't be happier to read this final blog. CONGRATULATIONS, CHASE! Mom has kept me updated, along with these posts, and I couldn't be happier to hear that you can get back to living your life. I'm thrilled for the outcome of this all and I'm glad to know it's all uphill from here. Congratulations again, Chase.

Lindsay Weast

Anonymous said...

Chase- I did a whole lotta praying for you-------------------- could I have a teeny tiny corner in the Lincoln bed? Please, please?
Aleta

Anonymous said...

I can't even begin to tell you how happy and excited I am for you, Chase. You are an amazing young man, and I am so proud of you for fighting so hard and for never giving up. I really do hate that I won't get to take care of you on 5 Children's anymore, but know that you will always be one of my favorite patients. You and your family always made me smile, no matter what kind of day I was having at the hospital. I know you feel so blessed to have had so many people impact your life over the past few months, but I want you to know that you had an impact on mine, as well. I guess you being around my age made me really put things in my own life into perspective. I know God has an amazing plan for your life. He allowed you to beat the worst thing on earth - cancer - for a reason. And hopefully that reason is so you can be my president one day. If you ever get the urge, stop by the hospital and say hello. And I'll keep praying for you, buddy!

Ashley, RN
UNC Hospitals

Anonymous said...

congratulations chase, prayer is powerful isn't it? this whole experience has definitely shaped you into an even more amazing person. i dont need to say this im sure, but im going to anyways: never forget all the people who helped you through, they ARE your angels!

Anonymous said...

WOW ! Chase you beat it ! and all though you may not relize it you beating your cancer gave a ton of other kids at clinic the hope they needed to beat theres.And by the way announcing the lunch menue at school was a big deal lol. But seriously congratulations and you have one heck of a story to tell when your old and grey if I must say myself.
Brittany

Anonymous said...

Chase,
It has been a few weeks now and I realize how much I miss being with you, taking care of you and feeding you. We complained about how we were together so much and you missing you friends and I missed your dad and your brother. But, I really miss you! I hope you know that I continue to pray for you each night, that the cancer will continue to STAY AWAY! Just know Chase that I love you and miss you dearly. You are coming home this weekend and it is amazing how much I am looking forward to it. Take care of yourself, continue to call because it makes my day.
I love you,
MOM