How did you find out about Chase's Blog?

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Judith and Chase have an angel looking out for them in Houston. Here's a picture of Chase, Debbie, and Judith in the apartment she arranged for them, just a few miles from the Proton treatment center.



After just 2 nights sharing a room and a bath, they were both quite happy to move in to the 2 bedroom, 2 bath fully furnished apartment. I just didn't realize how much "stuff" it takes to furnish an apartment, but besides the beds and sheets, the sofa and coffee table, the dining room table and chairs, there were trash cans, pots and pans, boxes of tissue, pictures on the walls, plants on the tables, :: deep breath :: shower curtains, hand soap, dishwashing detergent, kitchen towels and a sponge, knives, forks, spoons, spatulas, a can opener, a corkscrew, a vacuum cleaner... (okay, there were no scissors, but everything else was there!)

So now they've got a bit of room to spread out instead of just getting on each other's nerves (oh come on, you know it happens). Judith got high speed internet installed and I brought our "travel" wireless router so they don't have to try to steal a connection off "smoooth operator" (really, that was the name of the only unsecured wireless network in range). It's supposed to be for Chase's studies, but it's really so Judith can surf YouTube:


My last night there the weather cleared enough so we could meet some friends of mine, Lynette and Joey, who picked us up and took us to Taste of Texas for some absolutely fantastic steaks and good conversation. And leftovers... How was that cheesecake the next day, Chase?



Before I forget, Judith sent me links to info on Dr. Woo, Chase's radiation oncologist, and Dr. Ater who will be watching over his blood counts and finishing up his chemo (that one remaining Vincristine shot).

They joined a gym today, so that should help Chase get rid of some energy. Hey, at least he still has some!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our "Angel" Debbie has been wonderful and Chase and I have made the best of a bad situation. The apartment is so much better than a hotel. We did that for a couple of nights, and boy am I glad we won't have to continue with that. The location of this apartment is fabulous. About 5 miles from the Proton Center, 3 miles from the gym we joined. (which by the way is also in the famous Galleria shopping area) Also, only about 5 miles from downtown Houston where we went to a Houston Rockets game tonight. I haven't been shopping, yet, but Chase hasn't started his radiation yet either. So we are out exploring the city and doing things together. Then he comes home and does some homework while I cook dinner. But, I have to say he did cook for me one night and it was very tasty. We even had leftovers for lunch the next day. :-)
So, thanks to everyone who is helping to make our stay here a nice one, it sure is. For those back home, I miss you. I miss the rest of my family, Buddy and Jake, but they are going to be visiting in the middle of February thanks to another kind friend, Susan. I miss my dog, JD, who I know that Kim and Carol are walking almost every night. Right????
Hugs and Kisses to everyone at home!
In Houston,
Judith