How did you find out about Chase's Blog?

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Not much happening today. I tried to eek out some more details about radiation treatments from Chase, but the monosyllabic answers meant he really needed to get his homework done before the Carolina/Duke game - and Carolina won, so I'm sure he's happier tonight.

Judith seemed entranced with what she was told were Purple Martins flying around, roosting in trees, and hanging out on the power lines. I tried to find out if they were indeed Martins, but I haven't gotten too far.

My bird book is for Eastern US, and Texas is decidedly...not Eastern. Everything I've seen on the web so far says that Martins hang out in huge flocks in TX in July prior to flying to South America for the winter.

Scout reports indicate they're just now starting to trickle in to TX on their way back for the summer. Since I saw these flocks back when I was in Houston in January, I'm even less convinced they're Martins.

This survey from last winter has a list of high population birds in Houston, and I'm wondering if these are the more boring starlings?

Aaaand I've wasted an hour of my life and about a minute and a half of yours - sorry!

9 down, 11 to go - Thursday's the half way point!

No comments: